5 simple exercises to do at the park (or at home)
With your favourite gym, pilates studio, pool, yoga studio, cycling studio and even Scott Morrison’s exercise of choice, a Barre studio out of action at the moment, we’re all having to get creative with our exercise programs.
Here at Flex we’re still open for 2:1 Pilates in the clinic, pilates online and have just launched our online group exercise class schedule, including Bodyweight Strength, Mat Pilates, Strength for Runners and we also have your Stretch & Mobility needs covered.
Sometimes we understand you want something easy to do on your own schedule, from the comfort of your own home or out and about at your local park and it’s always handy having something you can pick up and do at the drop of a hat.
So here we have it – 5 simple exercises you can do in the park, at home or anywhere you so desire.
30 seconds exercise + 15 seconds rest x 2 for each exercise
Take 2 minutes rest after completing the 5 exercises and repeat 2 – 3 times.
• Start by standing straight with your feet shoulder width apart and your arms out in front.
• Lower yourself into a squat position, keeping your heels in contact with the ground.
• Keep your head and chest upright and your gaze horizontal.
• Push downwards through the ground and return to your start position.
• Start with your hands under your shoulders, fingers facing forwards and torso level and straight with the toes on the floor.
• Lower your body until your chest is just above the ground, keep your torso straight and arms aligned with your shoulders.
• Press up into the start position using your arms and shoulders, keep your backside in line with your back and try not to arch your lower back.
• This exercise can also be performed by starting with the knees on the floor or with your hands up on a chair/bench.
Calf raises – single leg
• Stand on one leg.
• Maintaining your balance, rise up on to your toes so the heel comes off the floor, keeping your knee straight.
• Control the movement back to the start position and repeat.
• You may want to hold onto a table, tree, bench etc for support.
• To modify, this can be done on both feet at the same time.
• Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
• Maintain a hips-width distance between your knees and feet.
• Tighten your buttock muscles and lift your hips towards the ceiling until you have a straight line from your shoulders to your knees.
• Hold this position and control the movement as you lower back down to the floor and repeat.
• Lie on your side, propping yourself up on your elbow.
• Keep your legs straight and stacked on top of one another.
• Use your elbow and feet to push your body off the floor and maintain a straight line from your head to your feet.
• Hold this position for the required time, preventing your hips from sagging.
You can incorporate a walk or run into this too, eg walk 1 lap of the park, bodyweight circuit, rest, run a lap of the park, bodyweight circuit, rest etc……
If you would like some extra motivation and challenge, our online Bodyweight Strength class runs on a Monday morning at 7.30am and we’d love to have you join us. You may even gather some more inspiration for your own home workouts. You can find out more about the class and book your spot from here.
Written by Myotherapist, Matt Jeffers